Marriages in India are a lot of fun. It is like a mini-festival. But apart from the celebration, we should take one thing seriously, i.e., marriage registration. Marriage Registration gives legal recognition to the union; it also secures the rights of both women and men. In the case of divorce, if the marriage is registered, it makes the process smoother. And if any of the partner dies and the marriage is registered, then it makes the life of the surviving spouse easier.
In this article, we will discuss about the benefits of marriage registration.
In India, people are married for decades but still don’t have a marriage registration. They think that it is a lengthy and complex process. But ironically, it is a simple and easy process.
The Indian government has made it compulsory to get the registration of marriages in India. The Compulsory Registration of Marriage Act, 2005 states that every marriage solemnised between citizens or where at least one person is the citizen of India should be registered with the Registrar of Marriages. And it is the duty of the parties to take all the necessary steps for marriage registration.
Rules for Marriage registration in India
- Neither parties should have a living spouse at the time of the wedding
- They should give a valid consent.
- Neither of the parties should be suffering from any kind of mental disorder, elipesy, or insanity.
- They should not fall under the degree of prohibited relationship.
- The Bride should be of 18 years of age, and the groom should be 21 years old.
Benefits of Marriage Registration
- The first and foremost advantage of having marriage registration is it helps in applying for home loans. If you are planning to travel abroad on a spouse visa, then you and your spouse will need a valid marriage certificate.
- Marriage registration has an evidentiary value in India. It provides a type of social security for women in our society.
- It also helps in claiming a pension or life insurance when the depositee or insurer dies.
- It is a valuable piece of proof. If someone wants to show proof that they are legally married to someone, then it can be shown.
- In case the couple wants to get a divorce, legal separation, and the question of alimony or custody of children arises, then the Court may ask for a marriage certificate.
Online Marriage Registration
Thinking about marriage registration, you can get online registration of your marriage. If you want to get your marriage registration in Delhi, click here. If planning to get registration, follow the below requirements-
- Select your district
- Fill the online form with all the details
Documents for Marriage Registration
- Marriage registration form signed by both the parties. It can be downloaded from the official website for marriage registration.
- The proof of address of both the parties.
- Proof of date of birth
- An Affidavit stating the details of marriage such as place and date of marriage, marital status at the time of marriage, nationality, and the date of birth of the parties.
- Passport size photograph and one official wedding photograph.
- Wedding invitation card
- The signed certificate from the priest who has solemnized the marriage ceremony.
- If there is any certificate of conversion, the order of divorce or the death certificate of spouse.
Additionally, you need to bring at least two witnesses who attended your wedding for the marriage registration.
It is very important to register marriages in India. Most Indians ignore the registration of their marriages. They don’t know that it is a quick and easy process. This registration not only protects the Indian women, but it also safeguards the marriage. Therefore, it is advisable to register your marriage without delay.